History

Loyola is known by many in the Baltimore metropolitan area as an outstanding all-male Catholic school in the Jesuit tradition. The institution is part of a network of more than sixty other Jesuit high schools in the United States, that seek to educate men-and-women-for-others. Our school traces its history through a 450-year legacy of educational excellence that dates back to the first school founded by St. Ignatius Loyola at Messina, Italy in 1548. Visiting campus, one gains a sense of the history and tradition that have sustained the school, as well the energy and enthusiasm that have kept Loyola Blakefield forging into the 21st century. From the first students in 1852 and the first class to enter the Blakefield campus in 1934, to the newest generation of Dons, Loyola Blakefield’s mission has remained to graduate men of conscience, competence, and compassion.


1852: 
Loyola High School and Loyola College open their doors on Holliday Street in Baltimore. The school is founded by Rev. John Early, S.J. and eight other Jesuits.

 

1855: Experiencing large growth, the two schools move to Calvert Street. This location now hosts St. Ignatius Loyola Academy and St. Ignatius Church. 

 


1921: With a growing demand for Jesuit education, the school continued to grow. Loyola College and Loyola High School are separated. The college moves to its new Evergreen Campus.


1933:
Under the leadership of the Rev. John Dustin, S.J. and his successor, the Rev.Ferdinand Wheeler, S.J., the high school set its sights on property north of the city to find a new home. In 1933, thanks to the financial support of a major benefactor, the family of George Blake, the school purchases the land today known as Blakefield. One year later, upper classmen met there for the first time while the freshmen remain downtown.

 

1941: The downtown campus closes and all classes move to the Blakefield campus.

1981: The seventh and eighth grades are added.

1988: Loyola Blakefield adds a sixth grade.

 

1996: Burk Hall is constructed with the inclusion of the Chapel of Our Lady of Montserrat. It also contains the administrative offices, the Departments of Guidance and Counseling, as well as the Departments of Religious Studies, Art, History and Mathematics.

 

2002: Loyola Blakefield celebrated its 150th graduating class along with the completion and dedication of Knott Hall, the new multi-purpose center featuring Bunting Dining Hall, the Joseph E. Peters ’55 Performance Gym, meeting facilities, swimming pool and four-court gymnasium.

 

2011: Wheeler Hall, Loyola’s flagship academic building, undergoes major renovations which deliver technological advancement to classrooms. The Rev. Lloyd George, S.J. Lounge is transformed into a modern meeting facility.

 

2012-2013: The newest addition to Blakefield is the installation of synthetic turf and remodeled athletic facility on Hargaden Field.